Pre-pandemic RISE was fortunate to host several community volunteers inside Nebraska's state prison facilities to help with one-on-one coaching during RISE In-Prison Program milestone events. Unfortunately, due to obstacles beyond RISE's control, those opportunities and processes have changed.
Security clearance forms (called NCIC's) and a one-hour volunteer training session from the Department of Corrections are required by the DOC to volunteer with RISE inside a prison facility. This process can take nine months or more (please don't let this deter you). If you have not volunteered with RISE within the last year, you must go through these steps and will have to do so again each year following.
If you're interested in volunteering inside, our recommendation is to get your security clearance forms completed now so you'll be ready when we have the approval to bring in larger groups of volunteers. To get that process going, please email Volunteer Relations Manager, Chantal Wentz, here.
So what can you do right now?
- Volunteer to review resumes, personal statements, and business ideas during our Online Coaching events! You can see those details below.
- Share our mission on social media!
- Start using people-first language (we don't work with inmates, cons, felons, etc. - we work with people).
- Support our mission with a monetary donation.
- "Give supportive space" during our community-based events for the RISE Youth & Family Program and the RISE Business Academy!
- Ask RISE to speak at your event, conference, church, Rotary Club, panel, college, etc.
- HIRE RISE GRADUATES!
- Get involved in policy and advocacy! We can't change records, but we can change the policies that impact them!
In-Prison Program Milestone Event
This In-Prison Program Milestone Event is a 2-3 hour time commitment, self-paced, from your own home.
Volunteers will be assigned a RISE In-Prison program participant via online portal and will spend time providing honest and in-depth feedback on personal statements, cover letter, resumes, and business ideations.
- Registration through our website at least 3 days prior to event launch
- Internet service
Before you volunteer:
Reliability is everything. While we understand the unpredictability of lives and schedules, the cancellation of volunteers prior to an event can throw a large wrench in the coaching outcome for our program participants. Our ideal scenario provides 3 full rounds of feedback from community volunteers for each program participant.
Upcoming Volunteer Opportunities
Email Chantal Wentz, RISE Volunteer Relations Manager