Reporting to the Director of Public Policy & Advocacy, the Case Manager will work closely with the Bail Coordinator on the Justice Study to provide follow-up and referral support services to enrolled participants whether or not they are bailed out through the study. This position is crucial in the continuity of services for people to have successful outcomes after leaving jail during pre-trial. Support services range from assisting with release support plans to connecting with service providers through referrals and case management.
The Justice Study is being conducted by researchers at the Harvard Access to Justice Lab, in collaboration with researchers at the University of Zurich and ETH Zurich. The Study will rigorously evaluate the short and long-term effects of pretrial incarceration and is expected to contribute significantly to criminal justice system policies in Nebraska, as well as other jurisdictions. This position will be a critical part of the study’s implementation in Nebraska.
RISE is the largest nonprofit organization in Nebraska focused solely on habilitative programming in prisons and reentry support. At RISE, transformation starts pre-release and continues post-release. Our inside/out model bridges incarceration to the community and considers all the critical steps in that journey. We prepare and train people for each phase through intensive character development, employment readiness, job creation through entrepreneurship, family programming and case management. We transform people in the community by building awareness and empathy that leads to support and opportunity. These connections heal families, create employment pathways and lower recidivism. The mission of RISE is to break generational cycles of incarceration.
- Assist enrolled participants in navigating their initial release support plan and needs; update the support plan as necessary
- Assist individuals who were enrolled as study participants but not bailed out in the study by creating release support plans and providing case management support.
- Regularly meet with the research team to help track research activities, such as study enrollment and surveying and review the usage/return of bail funds
- Connect participants with community support services and follow up with all referrals
- Document all appropriate participant information in the database through case notes (i.e contact information, initial intake, release support plan details, support services referrals, etc..)
- Provide court date reminders and follow up with non-responsive individuals to confirm attendance at upcoming court dates
- Assist participants with coordinating rides to court appearances
- Reply to participants’ requests or direct them to the appropriate staff for follow-up to ensure support for the best outcomes and returning to court
- Keep database updated, review weekly for missing data
- Work closely with the Bail Coordinator to ensure timely and seamless continuity of service to participants
- Collect feedback from participants about their experiences with service providers
- Develop and maintain partnerships with service providers and organizations in the community to meet the needs of participants
- Update and add new partners and service providers in the database
- Other duties as assigned
- Ability to work independently and effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Strong research, written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional organizational skills; detail-oriented with strong follow-through
- Demonstrated experience in taking initiative with the ability to be flexible in a fluid and fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite or other comparable office software
- Ability to work some evenings, weekends, and willingness to travel to Lincoln, NE and Omaha, NE as necessary.
- Some knowledge of the Nebraska criminal justice system preferred (but not required)
- High School Diploma or GED preferred
- Basic computer skills preferred
- Commitment to the RISE vision that “all people will find freedom from cycles of incarceration”
- Scrappy, adaptable, entrepreneurial and innovative
- Openness to feedback, coachable, with a dedication to continually learn and improve
- Willingness to learn Apricot database and commit to the importance of data entry and updates
- Exceptionally high level of honesty and integrity as well as being friendly, flexible, adaptable, self-aware and confident
- Willingness to cultivate superb time management and organizational skills