Director of Employment Services
The Director of Employment Services will engage, cultivate and work collaboratively with employers in order to further career opportunities for RISE program participants. This position will serve as an educational resource for employers on how to effectively hire and retain the formerly incarcerated workforce. The Director will act as a liaison between RISE reentry specialists and employers to ensure fit to role and fit to organization for RISE program graduates. The Director of Employment Services will strategically create career pathways for formerly incarcerated people to achieve a self-sustaining wage.
RISE is the largest nonprofit organization in Nebraska focused solely on habilitative programming in prisons and reentry support. At RISE, transformation starts pre-release and continues post-release. Our inside/out model bridges incarceration to the community and considers all the critical steps in that journey. We prepare and train people for each phase through intensive character development, employment readiness, job creation through entrepreneurship, family programming and case management. We transform people in the community by building awareness and empathy that leads to support and opportunity. These connections heal families, create employment pathways and lower recidivism. The mission of RISE is to break generational cycles of incarceration.
- Provide career planning for formerly incarcerated individuals
- Serve as a topic expert in hiring and retaining formerly incarcerated individuals, and encourage employers to take advantage of tax and hiring incentives
- Conduct searches for suitable job openings for RISE program graduates (referred to as “grads” or “Builders”), comparing client qualifications with employer’s requirements and partner with RISE Reentry Specialists to support the employment goals of grads on their caseloads
- Develop a wide variety of job opportunities for graduates, particularly high wage, high skill, high need positions
- Establish and maintain active and frequent contact with employers through newsletters, quarterly informational sessions, and educational workshops
- Create an employer sponsorship program that gives employers an opportunity to partner with RISE on workforce initiatives for returning citizens and employment pipelines into their businesses
- Establish rapport with Nebraska businesses and introduce them to RISE; maintain ongoing relationships with businesses and provide a RISE single point of contact with employers
- Work with businesses to identify job openings, apprenticeships and training initiatives; create employment plans and pipelines with steps on how to achieve trainings, certifications, licensing, apprenticeships and other pathways to a career
- Set up job fairs and employer hiring events
- Provide weekly programming opportunities for program graduates on skills and opportunities to advance their career
- Engage with statewide HR groups and workforce development groups to educate HR professionals and others about hiring RISE graduates and reentry hiring incentives
- Use assessment tools to develop a realistic career pathway for grads
- Liaison to Heartland Workforce Solutions, the Nebraska Department of Labor and other employer/benefits groups to disseminate labor market information regarding TANF, workforce development services in the community, WIOA, WOTC, Unemployment Insurance, Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) and other supportive services as needed
- Associates or Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Proven experience creating and building workforce development programs preferred
- Experience in job development/placement preferred; management experience preferred
- Knowledge and/or experience of jail/prison environment and knowledge of the criminal justice system and reentry from incarceration preferred
- Ability and willingness to travel to various locations within Greater Omaha and Lincoln and occasionally other parts of Nebraska to visit businesses and program graduates.
- Valid Driver’s license and automobile insurance, along with a clean driving record, required.
- Public Speaking
- Basic computer skills
- Strong leadership qualities, self-awareness, attention to detail and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Ability to multitask and meet deadlines
- Effective communication skills to manage relationships
- Flexible, adaptable, entrepreneurial and innovative
- Ability to work evenings and some weekends