Position Location: Omaha, Nebraska and Surrounding Areas
*No longer accepting applications. 11-23-22
The Event Manager is ambitious, determined and passionate about creating events and managing the finest of details. They are organized and meticulous with a love for managing people and projects from conception to completion. Asking the right questions to get the results on time, they are comfortable leading people to desired outcomes. They are able to juggle priorities and plan multiple events at once. They are able to quickly pivot when obstacles arise and develop a sense of stability in the midst of change. Most importantly, this role is not just planning events - it’s creating the opportunity for life-changing interactions that contribute to the RISE vision that all people will find freedom from cycles of incarceration.
The Event Manager role is a dynamic, key component to the RISE team. The Event Manager will work alongside Program staff, the Volunteer Manager, and Director of Operations to perform the tasks and responsibilities listed below. This position reports to the Director of Programs.
RISE is the largest nonprofit organization in Nebraska focused solely on habilitative programming in prisons and reentry support. At RISE, transformation starts pre-release and continues post-release. Our inside/out model bridges incarceration to the community and considers all the critical steps in that journey. We prepare and train people for each phase through intensive character development, employment readiness, job creation through entrepreneurship, family programming and case management. We transform people in the community by building awareness and empathy that leads to support and opportunity. These connections heal families, create employment pathways and lower recidivism. The mission of RISE is to break generational cycles of incarceration.
- Work with other program staff to assist with the design of, and oversee the execution of, all RISE events including: prison program events, Family Program events, RISE Business Academy events, and other RISE community events.
- Actively drives event planning and implementation; including collecting information needed to pull together an event, actively collaborating with team members, and driving project timelines.
- The event planning process usually starts 8 weeks out from an event, so the Event Manager must manage and plan many events at the same time.
- Be the director on event days. Manage a team of 5-15 people who will be assisting in event execution.
- Determine event structure and agenda, and provide supporting materials/handouts for staff, program participants, guests and volunteers.
- Manage the implementation of all operations and logistics related to events, including securing event space, equipment and materials, refreshments, décor and audio/video resources.
- Lead negotiations with vendors to secure best possible rates/prices.
- Implement special events including guest lectures, volunteer sessions, and other opportunities made possible through the involvement of corporate partners, colleges and universities, and other nonprofit organizations.
- Attend events during weeknights and occasional weekends to manage logistics.
- Ensure all event supplies are packed up and delivered to the event with time to set up prior to the event.
- 1-3 years (minimum) experience planning events
- Highly organized, detail-oriented logistics lover
- Demonstrated ability to manage and motivate others to deliver quality on time
- Discerning spirit that leads you to ask the right questions and figure out what’s missing…and a willingness to say something about it when it needs fixing.
- Basic computer skills required: Microsoft, Google Suite, etc.
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Commitment to the RISE mission to “break generational cycles of incarceration”
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends
- Openness to feedback, coachable, with a dedication to continually learn and improve
- Exceptionally high level of honesty and integrity as well as being friendly, flexible, adaptable, self-aware and confident
- Self-organized, self-motivated and self-aware; no need or desire to be micromanaged.
- Plans well in advance of deadlines; not a procrastinator
- Anticipate needs and think quickly on your feet
- Enthusiastic team player
- Comfortable giving feedback and direction to others
- Excellent communication skills; a natural ability to get people “on the same page”
- Committed to always improving your work product
- Highly motivated self-starter, ready to jump on a moving train and add value
RISE is background friendly.