RISE Reentry Specialist
Omaha, Lincoln, and surrounding areas
Reporting to the Reentry Manager, the Reentry Specialist will have significant responsibility assisting RISE program participants with navigating community resources and services as they reestablish their lives in communities across the state.
The Reentry Specialist will provide guidance and support to program participants returning to communities after incarceration and/or experiencing barriers after being released. This includes administering needs assessments, reviewing reentry and personal action plans, employment and housing search assistance, accessing wrap-around services in communities, conducting wellness check-ins, facilitating classes, employment verifications and other case management needs. The Reentry Specialist will work closely with the entire RISE Team to encourage and empower program participants to become successful members of their families and communities.
- The Reentry Specialist will have the passion, knowledge and experience to implement and help grow the Post-Release Program through reentry efforts and case management for program participants.
- Administer post-release needs assessments to determine services and programmatic needs of reentering participants. Identify and refer participants to community resources including housing, wrap around services for mental health and substance use treatment, public benefits, healthcare, etc.
- Review reentry plans to develop realistic goals and personal action plans to ensure successful reintegration and addressing the five (5) keys to reentry well-being: healthy thinking patterns, meaningful work trajectories, effective coping strategies, positive social engagement, and positive relationships.
- Assist program participants with obtaining and completing forms and documents necessary for transition (i.e. transcripts, birth certificates, state identification, social security cards) and navigate challenges that having a criminal background will present (i.e. employment, housing, transportation).
- Serve as a liaison between program participants, community organizations (i.e. transitional living facilities, parole officer) and family to ensure networks of support are communicating. Coordination will provide the best opportunity for success and lower the chance of recidivism.
- Build partnerships, utilize existing partnerships and serve as a liaison to other organizations and employers working on reentry efforts.
- Communicate with program participants through phone calls and in-person meetings to do wellness check-ins and progress updates on reentry and personal action plans.
- Facilitate classes focused on skills and topics necessary for successful re-entry (i.e. computer & internet basics, social media use, mindfulness, setting up banking accounts, etc). Model appropriate behavior for participants and provide motivation throughout the reentry process.
- Collect and maintain accurate records to monitor the progress of program participants which include case notes on well-being check-ins, reentry and personal action plans, milestone achievements, attendance records, class progress and employment verification.
- Participate in staff meetings to coordinate information on participants’ release/parole dates, needs, and updates to the progress and well-being of participants.
- High School Diploma or GED required, Associates Degree preferred with coursework in Social Sciences, Human Services, Criminal Justice, Psychology or related field
- Combination of training, education, or experience working in a program or organization serving individuals with criminal histories preferred
- Knowledge and/or experience working in a jail/prison environment and knowledge of the criminal justice system preferred
- Experience with facilitating group discussions and class instruction
- Basic computer skills
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Scrappy, adaptable, entrepreneurial and innovative
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends
Submit your cover letter and resume here.